Authorised Mental Health Practitioners (AMHPs)
Education and initial training for authorisation
This information is for mental health practitioners who wish to apply, with the approval of the approving delegate, to be authorised by the Chief Psychiatrists to perform the role of an AMHP.
To be authorised by the Chief Psychiatrist a mental health practitioner must demonstrate that he or she can meet the required competency to be an AMHP
Competencies for an AMHP
- AMHPs must be competent mental health practitioners with advanced skills in the assessment, management and treatment of people experiencing mental illness.
- Competency is obtained through experience, supervision, education and training and is demonstrated in the knowledge, skills and attitude of the AMHP.
- AMHPs should have a good understanding of the AMHP role and a detailed knowledge of the Mental Health Act 2014 (the Act).
- Supervision of practice and further education in the mental health context must be undertaken by all AMHPs as part of professional development and good practice.
The Chief Psychiatrist will designate as AMHPs only those mental health practitioners who in the opinion of the Chief Psychiatrist have the qualifications, training and experience appropriate for the performance of the functions as detailed in the Act.
Each mental health region, service or AMHP employer is required to support and facilitate supervision of practice and on-going education for all AMHPs operating within the region or service.
Applications will only be accepted when approved by a nominated Delegate – see listing.
Once approved the mental health practitioner will be accepted into a training course which could lead to them being authorised by the Chief Psychiatrist as AMHPs.
Education and Training
The training course will comprise of the following-
- Five MH POD on-line education and training programme to be completed before undertaking the workshop. (http://www.mhpod.gov.au/)
- Mental Health Histories and Mental State Examination
- Risk Assessment and Management Overview
- Strategies for working with people at risk of suicide
- Working with people who self-harm
- Supervision and self-care in mental health services
- All mental health practitioners should have completed the Clinician’s E-Learning Package previously.
- Completion of the Referrer’s E-Learning package before undertaking the workshop. The purpose of doing the Referrer’s package is to review their knowledge regarding referral issues before the workshop. (https://mha2014.e3learning.com.au/)
- Completion of an on-line program in understanding capacity before undertaking the workshop. This is a Power Point presentation that covers the essential elements of capacity as related to the Act for AMHPs (OCP Capacity Training)
- A 2-day workshop on risk assessment and management and the AMHP role including a short test consisting of multiple choice and short answer questions to determine competency for the role – requires a pass of 70%.
The Gazettal of an AMHP is only approved by the Chief Psychiatrist when satisfied the clinician has the level of knowledge and experience to perform the duties of an AMHP as required under the Act
Thursday October 18 and Friday 19 October 2018, 8.30am to 4.30pm
APPLY NOW by completing the request forms and returning to firstname.lastname@example.org
AMHP Refresher Training
These four hour AMHP Refresher sessions will enable AMHPs who are uncertain of their role and responsibility to explore their functions under the Mental Health Act 2014 (MHA 2014) as well as providing an opportunity for feedback about their practice and legal issues.
All sessions are held onsite in Perth, close to public transport (a 5 minute walk from McIver train station).
Sessions will be held on:
17 August 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (Metro)
21 August 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (WACHS VC)
5 September 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (Metro)
26 September 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (WACHS VC)
9 October 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (Metro)
11 October 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (WACHS VC)
4 December 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (Metro)
11 December 2018 9.00 to 13.00hrs (WACHS VC)
To book a place email email@example.com